When a person is successful, as Thomas Dorsey definitely was, it is sometimes easy to miss the story. Dorsey, who was inducted into the Nashville Songwriter's Hall of Fame in 1979, had the distinction of having his song, "Take My Hand Precious Lord" song at the funeral of Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thomas Andrew Dorsey
He was influenced in childhood by blues pianists in the Atlanta, Ga., area and worked in secular "hokum" music as a composer, arranger, pianist, and vocalist from 1910 through 1928. In 1916 he moved to Chicago, where he attended the College of Composition and Arranging. His talent and accomplishments are well known. The tragic events prior to his writing the song "Take My Hand Precious Lord" are not so well-known. Having been brought up by a Baptist minister, Dorsey was pursuing a career in secular blues music and playing in bars and clubs until until his interest in serving the Lord was renewed.
Thomas Andrew Dorsey was a fairly new husband in 1932. He and his wife Nettie are expecting their first baby at that time. On one hot afternoon in August, Dorsey was set to leave for St. Louis. He had to attend a large revival meeting in the said place where he will be featured as a soloist. Thinking of his wife's condition, who may be giving birth at any time, Dorsey didn't feel like going to the event. However, the thought of hundreds of people expecting his presence urged him to go in the end. (Taken from Country Thang Daily)
In God's word we read:
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." Psalm 23:4 KJV
"When I became embittered and my innermost being was wounded, Yet I am always with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me up in glory." Psalms 73:21, 23-24 CSB
"For I am the Lord your God, who holds your right hand, who says to you, "Do not fear, I will help you."
Isaiah 41:13 CSB
Mr. Dorsey went on to marry again, have two children, and write other famous music including the hymn "Peace In The Valley."
No comments:
Post a Comment